This evening's briefing was given by the Prime Minister.
Source: 10 Downing Street
From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home.
People will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:
- shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- one form of exercise a day - for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household;
- any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
- travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.
That is all. These are the only reasons you should leave your home.
You should not be going shopping except for essentials like food and medicine - and you should do this as little as you can. And use food delivery services where you can.
If you don’t follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.
As a consequence:
- All shops selling non-essential goods (including clothing and electronic stores and other premises (including libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship) must close immediately;
- No groups of more than 2 may gather in public (excluding people you live with);
- All social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies (but not funerals) must be cancelled;
- Parks will remain open for exercise, but gatherings will be dispersed;
This will first be reviewed in 3 weeks' time.